Can I add Bitcoin to Metamask?
Metamask does not support native Bitcoin or the Lightning Network through their Web 3 wallet. The only kind of Bitcoin users can acquire on Metamask is Wrapped Bitcoin or WBTC, which is an Ethereum token that is pegged and backed 1:1 with Bitcoin.
Metamask only supports Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM) compatible networks, which means WBTC is the only way to get exposure to BTC with a Metamask wallet.
How to buy Wrapped Bitcoin (WBTC) and send to Metamask
If you are looking to get Bitcoin on your Metamask wallet, the easiest way is to buy WBTC from a centralised exchange like CoinSpot. Once you purchase WBTC on a centralised platform, you can send it to your Metamask wallet address and start using it in DeFi to earn yield.
You can get started with this simple guide:
- Create Account: Sign up to the CoinSpot exchange and verify your identity.
- Deposit AUD: Deposit AUD via Bank Transfer, POLi, PayID, Cash or another method.
- Find WBTC: Search for WBTC in CoinSpot’s token list.
- Execute WBTC buy: Input the amount of AUD you want to buy in WBTC and execute your trade.
- Withdraw WBTC: Find your WBTC wallet in the CoinSpot app and withdraw the WBTC to your Metamask deposit address.
Alternative Wallet for Bitcoin
The best Metamask alternative wallet for Bitcoin is the Wallet of Satoshi. This wallet app is available on iOS and Android Wallets and is compatible with the Lightning Network. This means you can buy, sell, store and send Bitcoin for a low cost with Wallet of Satoshi thanks to Lightning Networks’ peer-to-peer channels.
BTC/WBTC Conversion Rate
The chart below is the live conversion rate between BTC and WBTC.